Friday, February 8, 2013

New Student Org. Brings New Voice to Campus

Last night a new UNH student organization, VOX, held their first meeting. Meaning 'voice' in Latin, VOX plans to be new outlet for discussions regarding reproductive rights and other feminist issues. Partnered with Planned Parenthood, UNH VOX, is one of many VOX university chapters throughout the United States.

I heard about the first meeting of this new group through posters and conversations with some of my friends. I found the organization intriguing as its partnership with Planned Parenthood sets it apart from other student groups on campus. I consider this story to be news based on several factors discussed in class. This story achieves relevance because it has just occurred and directly relates to the audience, the University of New Hampshire undergraduate student body. This subject also offers human interest as I bring in anecdotes from the club executives who discuss how they began to identify as feminists. Most, if not all, of the issues discussed in the first meeting (contraceptive availability, abortion rights, etc. ) have a relevance in current politics as many conservative politicians aim to restrict the accessibility of health services to women.



- 
-     
-

No comments:

Post a Comment