Friday, February 8, 2013

Boston Globe Observations

Although only on my second week of subscription, I have really been enjoying the diverse range of news and feature writing in the Globe. It has been interesting to see the many different types of leads, aside from summary leads, used by the Globe Staff. I enjoy the scene-setting leads (for example) as well as stories that are opened up using engaging quotes. Although these leads are not as fit for breaking news, I find them very successful in presenting a story to a reader as a narrative rather than just a report.

I was surprised by the lack of interactivity on the Globe website. I expected much more feedback from the online readers than I have seen thus far. Huffington Post has an incredibly high reader interaction, some stories getting over 3,000 user comments. It is probably just a factor of one website being a gratis source while the other requires subscription, but I was  a little disappointed to see the lack of user dialogue on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment